Images of Health, Sport, and the Body, Details Description The quest for physical health and fitness has a long history in the United States.
- | Getting Physical: The Rise of Fitness Culture in America | American Journal of Play;
- Jewish Mysticism!
- The Best of Liza Minnelli Songbook: Original Keys for Singers?
From spinach to shredded wheat to patent medicines, from calisthenics to bicycling to organized sports, Americans have searched vigorously and with great imagination for health, vitality, and physical perfection. Focusing on the period from to , this collection of essays by six distinguished historians explores Americans' fascination with health and sport, a preoccupation that continues even today in the current diet and fitness craze. In his introduction, Harvey Green discusses one of the major ironies of this period: that the "progress" and achievements Americans sought in the economic and technological spheres were in fact endangering their health and weakening the entire body politic.
The rapid technological changes taking place in the world forced many people to alter fundamentally their thinking about the importance of health and physical fitness not just for themselves as individuals but also for the good of society. LOG IN.
Journal of Interdisciplinary History. In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content: Reviewed by:.
- Account Options.
- ABILENE GAMBLER.
- Happy Never After.
- ISBN 13: 9780786474806.
- Folk Lore In Lowland Scotland.
- Women and Fitness in American Culture - AbeBooks - Sarah Hentges: ;
- Le sentier de la gloire (First Roman) (French Edition)!
If you would like to authenticate using a different subscribed institution that supports Shibboleth authentication or have your own login and password to Project MUSE. Additional Information.
Fitness for Foreigners
Project MUSE Mission Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide. Share Give access Share full text access.
- 7-1 | Getting Physical: The Rise of Fitness Culture in America.
- From Sin to Glory: Getting the Desires of Your Heart;
- Collections – American Made Fitness Culture?
- Fitness for foreigners: How people exercise in China, Pakistan, Sudan, and Sweden.!
- SAI HARI KATHA!
- His Simple Wish (His Every Whim Book 3).
- Women And Fitness In American Culture .
Share full text access. Please review our Terms and Conditions of Use and check box below to share full-text version of article.
Women And Fitness In American Culture
Volume 47 , Issue 5 October Pages Related Information. Close Figure Viewer. Browse All Figures Return to Figure. Previous Figure Next Figure.